Racism?

Journeying with Broken people seems easier than loving those that are broken but hurt so many people. I have a hard time understanding why people joke and laugh about other races...or for that matter gay people...I sat in a room with four young men who just seem to think that making fun of people and talking about people in derogatory way is humorous. DO they not see that it offends me...do they not understand they do this because they are afraid themselves that if they do not make fun of gay people that they themselves might be gay?

How do i see them as broken too? Crass, dirty, mean and they degrade races, women and sexual preference all day long. I want to scream..."would you just shut up..you have no idea the pain that others feel because of your ignorance." Once i said to one of them that he is the most insensitive person i have ever meet. And he replied "whatever"....i live up north and we become racist here because we never see black people". And then he continued to say that there was one black guy at the Huntsville High and he lets everyone call him Nigger...and it doesn't bother him...I respond, "does he have a choice?"

I wish that i could love and commit to loving these guys too. I mean are they are hurting as well. Or do you get to the point where you say....i can not align myself with people who marginalize people and dehumanize them for kicks.

Being that i am a women and i know what it is like to be misunderstood, mistreated and degraded. I feel very vulnerable in a group of young Christian men who don't understand Christ at all. Christ gave a message of love for all, love for the broken, love for the lost, and love for the samaritian.

I see that we have taught this generation to understand Jesus as a way out of hell and into heaven...nothing more. He doesn't transform you? He doesn't accept you? He doesn't change your heart from cold to warm. Bullshit he did and he does and he will continue to even do that with my heart for these men...but getting there might take me a life time.

No comments: